Pasture raised, these birds are truly wonderful. Raising them on grass in moveable pens once they’ve developed enough feathering has a number of advantages.
- The chickens stay cleaner since they’re on fresh ground regularly.
- Although White Rock chickens aren’t known for being brilliant or athletic, they do get some mental and physical stimulation from exploring a new patch each day.
- The fresh greenery offers a diversion for them which helps to reduce boredom inspired behavior such as fighting and picking at each other.
- They get to eat bits of fresh greenery that adds variety to their diet and likely subtly changes their flavour.
- The grass grows much greener after the chickens have visited an area.
- Watching them chasing the pen forward as it’s moved is entertaining and fun!
There are also a number of drawbacks and frustrations to raising poultry in moveable pens on grass. I will gladly go over them on any farm tour if anyone wants to listen.
The birds are processed at Schefter’s Poultry Processing. It’s one of the dwindling number of top notch, progressive, small rural processing facilities.
Schefter’s offers a variety of cutting and packaging options. Have a look at their site to see what they can do if whole frozen birds don’t suit your needs.
Fall 2016 fellas looking nervous- thanksgiving is getting closer.