A short list of some of the priorities for 2016.
1. More Fencing – a few thousand more feet and the majority will be done.
2. Buildings – roofs, foundations, various repairs, replacements and modifications.
3. Cattle weighing program – this is going to be enlightening and worthwhile. Being able to set a baseline for my pasture management is something I’ve wanted to get done. Having a more detailed picture of the predictably and consistency of the genetics will help guide breeding decisions. It should also lend some numerical confidence in selecting ideal butchering dates for individual animals. More information should result in higher quality and more consistency in your kitchen.
4. More marketing, networking and “outreach”. This is an ongoing push. It is getting ratcheted up this year in several ways. Stay tuned for new efforts, events and offerings.
5. A time and effort shift from cash cropping to more value added forestry/wood related work than in the past. Several Custom Sawing and unique “individual” furniture items are booked and it’s an area that is a good fit with the farm.
6. Improvements around the house. Some things are in need of updating, repair and replacement. Everyone has been eagerly awaiting some projects and it will be great to have them off the to do list!